Message from Beyond
I need to find out more about this worldwide sleep phenomenon that’s going on so I get on the net again.
I start up the computer and then sit there stunned staring at the screen for a minute or two.
I have new email.
It’s from I-Kno.
It says:
Hi ET,
You’re quite welcome. Glad I could help.
Regards,
I-Kno
What the fuck?
One: How did he get my email address?
Two: He’s awake!
Well obviously. And yet he writes to me like it’s no big deal that the world is asleep.
I click on ‘Reply’ but my fingers just hover uselessly above the keyboard. What do you say to possibly the only other lucid person in the world?
After much deliberation I go with the bleeding obvious.
Hi I-Kno,
Thanks for your response.
I must admit I’m very surprised to hear from you.
How did you get my email address? And how come you’re not asleep like everyone else?
Have you heard from anyone else?
Please write back as soon as possible, I would like to know more.
Cheers,
Two minutes later there’s an email in my inbox.
Hi ET,
I located your email by tracking the IP address of your computer - an Apple Mac Book Pro with the Intel CPU and inbuilt iSight camera. Very nice I must say. I have an iMac, it’s the older G5 model without the inbuilt iSight. But I have the clip on one… You really should tighten your security settings ;-)
I must admit I’m surprised by your second question. You said yourself, in the message you left on my website, that the DWIC saved you. It obviously saved me as well :-)
In answer to your third question: No, I haven’t heard from anyone else.
I have only had 13 visitors to my website. You must have been the only one who didn’t think I was crazy :)
Regards,
I-Kno (AKA Ian)
Um, sorry I-Kno (AKA Ian), I did think you were crazy. I’m reserving judgement for now.
Next there’s a chime from the computer. The chime that tells me that someone wants to chat with me.
Bloody hell! He’s got my chat name as well.
The message reads:
Hello it’s Ian.
No shit!
Hi.
What else could I say?
So what’s the weather like in
What! He wants to chat about the fucking weather. My judgement is shifting back to ‘Crazy’. Plus, he knows where I live!
Sunny. But never mind the weather Ian. What happened to everyone?
I reply bluntly.
You read my webpage. The aliens put them into a deep sleep with their D-Wave.
Right. Judgement swinging to ‘Barking mad’.
Yes, I did read your webpage. And I’m sorry to say, I found it a little hard to believe. Now I don’t know what to believe.
Ian responds.
Well you must have believed it enough to wear the DWIC.
How can I break it to him gently?
Sorry mate, I never wore a DWIC. I was just taking the piss.
I know. That wasn’t very gentle but what the hell.
There’s a long pause. I stare at the screen for what seems like an age. Just when I think I’ll never hear from I-Kno again…
So what protection from the D-Waves did you have?
He’s back! And he’s still crazy.
None.
Ian writes:
And is everyone around you asleep?
I write:
Yep.
There’s another long pause then Ian writes.
Let’s do a video chat.
I’m not sure why but I agree.
OK.
Soon a window pops up on the screen with the image of a thin-faced man, probably in his mid-twenties, with his skull covered in aluminium foil.
“Hello. It’s Ian.” Ian says with a British accent. My guess is he’s from
I reply, “Hi Ian. Are you British? Whereabouts do you live?
Ian looks a little stunned.
“Aye,
Yes! Got it in one.
Ian continues looking stunned.
“You’re not wearing your DWIC.” He declares.
“That’s because I never had one Ian.” I reply curtly. I thought we had cleared this up earlier.
“And you are absolutely sure you’re not protected from the D-Waves?”
“Well my girlfriend is lying in my bed fast asleep. And my flat is full of friends who are also all asleep so if they’re not protected I’m not.”
Ian pauses for thought. He scratches his head causing a little tuft of curly red hair to drop out from under his tin-foil hat. He tucks it back in and continues with his questioning.
“Is there something you’re wearing that could block the waves?” He asks.
“I don’t think so. My rubber suit is at the cleaners” I jest.
“Look, I have no idea why I’m awake. All I know is that for some strange reason everyone else is asleep…except for you of course.”
Ian has another little think.
“What were you doing when everyone fell asleep?”
“Well that’s the funny thing. I was sleeping.”
“Oh” says Ian. Obviously not seeing the humour in the fact that I slept through whatever caused everyone in the world to fall asleep.
I add, ”I had a party at my place. I drank too much and went to bed before everyone else. When I woke up the next day I found no one would wake up.”
Now it’s time for me to have a little thought.
“I wonder? Could it be because I was already asleep or maybe so drunk that the waves didn’t affect me?”
Oh my god! What am I saying? Now he’s got me believing in Alien sleep waves.
“Um, I mean whatever caused this.”
Ian’s thinking again.
“That is unlikely given the time of the event and that most of the population of
He’s a cheeky bastard as well as a nutter.
Ian quickly continues before I can respond, “I have another suggestion.”
“It is believed that there is one human who is impervious to the Aliens D-Wave and they will single-handedly conquer the Alien intruders. This person is referred to as The Saviour.”
Oh no, I hope he’s not going where I think he’s going with this.
“It is possible that you are that person… You are The Saviour.”
Oh shit! He went there.
“Who came up with this crap?” I blurt out.
Ian responds, “He is known as the Messenger and it is not crap. An Extraterrestrial being named Tiiqal advised him of the plan to invade Earth. Tiiqal believes it is wrong to invade another planet that is of no threat to his race but he is alone in his views and dares not speak openly of them. Tiiqal travelled to Earth to warn us but was followed by an assassin who killed him, but not before Tiiqal met with the Messenger and divulged all that he knew.
I can’t stand it anymore, “Ian! There are no aliens!”
“There must be a logical explanation for all this... Maybe it’s something to do with the Greenhouse Effect. Scientists blame everything on that now-a-days.”
Ian gives me a doubtful look.
“OK. So it mightn’t be the Greenhouse Effect but I can’t believe that aliens have used radio waves to put everyone to sleep. What about solar flares? Or… or… The flu?”
Ian interjects.
“You don’t believe it but you also can’t explain what has happened. You must admit there’s not much else that can explain how the entire human population can suddenly go into a deep sleep.”
“And have you noticed that only humans are affected?” He adds.
“Yes, I had noticed that.” I reply a little rudely.
He continues, “I can understand your anger; you were not prepared for this. I would feel the same if I hadn’t know the truth beforehand.”
“The truth!” I scream.
“The truth is Ian; you’re a complete and utter nutcase!”
“Have a look at yourself with that stupid tin-foil hat. What kind a person wears a tin-foil hat? I’ll tell you what kind. A complete nutter, that’s what kind?”
Ian’s face has deformed into a half angry, half crying child look.
He speaks solemnly.
“I think we need time to digest the situation. I will check back with you in two hours. Maybe you can take the time to assess what I have told you. Or maybe come up with a better explanation.”
And with that, ‘blink’, his image disappears from my screen.
Hmm. I think I may have hurt his feelings.
No comments:
Post a Comment